Drinking water is one of the most important things you can do – at work or at home. But if you’re like many people, you’ll work all day long and not think about water until you are thirsty. What can you do to encourage yourself to drink more water?
Here are five strategies you can implement today to get yourself to drink more water at work:
- Keep a bottle of water on your desk. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to drink water when you keep it within arm’s reach. Instead of keeping a soda on your desk, keep bottled water instead.
- Write a note to yourself and post it to your computer screen or someplace visible and right in front of your eyes. If you work in a cubicle, pin it to your cubicle wall, or tape it to your desk or calendar so that you see it all the time. You can write, “Drink water every 15 minutes” or “Drink 8 glasses of water today.” Whatever you need to remind yourself to drink water, that’s what you should write.
- Make a game out of it. Keep a tick list on a notepad or your daily planner every time you finish a bottle of water or take a drink. See how many ticks you can get each day. Try to beat your previous day’s total.
- Have an office worker keep a tick list and see which one of you drinks the most water every day. You could see who drinks the most in one week and say the loser buys the next week’s supply of water.
- There are smartphone apps you can use to remind yourself to drink more water. Set your phone’s alarm clock or rely on a Drink More Water app to remind you to drink more water periodically.
With just a little bit of effort and some ingenuity, you can be drinking more water at work in no time at all.